Monday, September 6, 2010

9.5.10 Bird Landing







My sister told me about this area in Dallas Zoo where you could go in and the birds would land on you. We were slightly skeptical, but the allure of Jakob getting to touch a bird made me want to investigate. Thye sell popsicle sticks with birdseed on them, and sure enough, they lure the birds right to you. Jakob loved it and was very gentle with the birds. He was okay with them on my hand, but got pretty upset when I put it on my shoulder or tried to put one on him. He wanted to feed them, but not hold them. They also gave me a "worm" to feed the birds, which I thought was going to be an earthworm. Much to my suprise they put some kind of maggot centipede type thing in my hand and I freaked out. It was alive and started crawling all over my hand and I could feel all those legs and seriously freaked out. If you know my aversion to bugs, you know what I am talking about. I knew we weren't suppose to make sudden movements so I just kept going, "get it off, get it off" but nobody would do anything....I thought I was going to have a heart attack right there. I started getting more panicked and my voice got louder, "I am not kidding get it off!!!" I guess they thought a bird would come, but they surely sinced my panic and stayed away. The zookeeper finally took it from me, but everyone was laughing by then. Whatev.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, we didn't know you could feed the birds. I guess we went too late and they were out of sticks. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete